If you are one of today's M.C.s, click here.
OUT (WITH NEIGHBORS)
- Now through Easter: Ashes to Fire Series
- March 22: Baby Dedication
- April 12-June 7: Forge Minneapolis Beta group. Optional $40 gets you books and coaching.
- June-August: At the park
- Online service testers needed. Contact Mark.
- http://momschurch.com and http://zombiechurch.org are now up for testing
- Through March: Women's Huddles (every 2 weeks), Men's Huddles (every 4 weeks), Adult's Night Out (every 8 weeks)
UP (with God)
Topic intro and split into groups of 3-5 people to keep discussion moving.
IN (WITH EACH OTHER)
Dinner and Dessert
Sync to the Calendar
More sync options on our calendar page.
Create Church as a startup
- Startup's definition: an organization designed to create new (products and) services under conditions of extreme uncertainty.
- Startup's most vital function: learning. Which elements of our strategy are working to realize our vision and which are just crazy.
- Startup's job: (1) rigorously measure where it is right now, confronting the hard truths that assessment reveals, and then (2) devise experiments to learn how to move the real numbers closer to the ideal reflected in the vision.
- Validated learning (scientific testing and measuring of what is valuable). Assumption testing. Waste elimination.
- 2015 tactics: Smoke testing, AB testing, new minimum viable products (MVP). Many experiments coming in 2015.
If you are interested in the Ashes to Fire daily devotional, click here.
100% of gifts are invested into advancing our mission to go and make communities of disciples in every people group.
Would you give to advance the Create Church experiment?
Ask Jesus about your relationship with money. Which master has your heart?
Give a gift that moves your heart and feel God’s delight in you!
2 Cor 8-9
Create Church operate with financial transparency. Please e-mail email@example.com if you would like to serve with the generosity team.
INtroducing 10 second giving with Pushpay
Learn more by visiting https://pushpay.com/pay/createchurch
You can also PLACE CASH OR CHECKs IN THE BLACK BOX
Please make checks out to "Create." Or mail checks to Create Church, 12299 Champlin Dr Suite 201, Champlin MN 55316. You can also give by online check. If you want to manage your online check giving, log in here.
Join our 1 chapter a day reading plan
more on our reading plan: My Daily Muse
Open your group time by sharing some praises and prayer requests. After sharing, close this time with a prayer using this week’s psalm (Psalm 22:23-31).
23You who fear the Lord, praise him! All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him; stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel! 24For he did not despise or abhor the affliction of the afflicted; he did not hide his face from me, but heard when I cried to him.
25From you comes my praise in the great congregation; my vows I will pay before those who fear him. 26The poor shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek him shall praise the Lord. May your hearts live forever!
SPLIT UP INTO GROUPS OF 3-5 PEOPLE
Say hi to each person.
Anyone read 1 and 2 below.
- Say your names and in 30 seconds or less, share about a junk food you crave regularly.
- Pick a Discussion Mover (DM) for today. This person's job is to (1) be vulnerable (2) keep discussion moving (3) make the "do it" section as impactful as possible. You can nominate a DM, spin something to choose someone, or ask the group if you can volunteer.
- DM: What are our expectations for this discussion today? Is this a safe place where we can be honest with each other? Do we want Jesus to speak to us? Are we willing to follow Him? Pray for God to speak with you and be with your group.
DM: Before we start our discussion, we're going to open your group time by sharing prayer requests, progress reports, or things we are thankful for. This time is important because one of the reasons God created the church is for us to care for and support and pray with each other. Who would like to go first?
After praying, close this time with a prayer using this week’s psalm (Psalm 25:1-10).
To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, in you I trust; do not let me be put to shame; do not let my enemies exult over me. Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame; let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous. Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all day long. Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your steadfast love, for they have been from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for your goodness’ sake, O Lord! Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in the way. He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his decrees.
Someone Read the following
GOSPEL PASSAGE: Mark 8:31-38
31 Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. 32 He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. 33 But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”
34 He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. 36 For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? 37 Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? 38 Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
discuss the following questions with your group
- Do you see any disagreement between the American dream and Jesus’ words in verses 34-38? Why or why not?
- What did Jesus mean when he said, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me”? (v. 34) How does the call to pick up your cross play out in your daily life?
CONTROVERSIAL VIDEO FROM MIDAMERICA NAZARENE UNIVERSITY
This Facebook post is from Joshua Brisco who was at the chapel service on February 10 where Dr. Randy Beckhum spoke.
Joshua Brisco I was at this chapel service, and this story has more or less ruled my last week.
Our student newspaper (which I am an editor for) put out this article before the Star's about the whole situation, and we actually have more information than the Star does. We have additional quotes from President Spittal and a statement from Dr. Beckum here: http://mnutrailblazer.com/.../president-beckum-was-not...
Also, if you'd like to see Beckum's chapel service in its entirety, you can watch it and read his manuscript on our site as well:http://mnutrailblazer.com/.../manuscript-of-dr-beckum-s...
And if that's not enough, I wrote an opinion piece about the response to Beckum's message. This was written before it was announced that he would no longer be VP of community formation: http://mnutrailblazer.com/.../mnu-community-must-embrace...
Sorry to flood you with links, but I've been proud to work with so many great people while covering this issue and just as proud of the stories that have come from it.
DM: lead the "DO It" section
Discuss the video
- Is there something Dr. Beckum could have said to avoid the controversy?
- What things have you looked at this week that depict violence? What do they say about our world?
- Consider the previous question. What does the violent things you saw in the last week say about you?
- What things in your life help you think about love? How is Jesus helping you to love like Him?
reminder: CARVE OUT TIME TO HEAR THE HOLY SPIRIT
When this week will you carve out time to hear the Holy Spirit? Some may choose to take a prayer walk or a once-per-week time of solitude and listening to God. Others may segment their hour into daily increments of ten minutes per day for six days of the week. The point is to have a specific time of just listening in silence, not speaking or asking for a list of things; just letting the Holy Spirit speak to you. What is He asking you to do? Who is He putting on your heart? Take notes or journal to write down distracting thoughts and capture what you hear. Verify with scripture, the character of Jesus, and those in church community with you, and immediately put His words into practice.
I invite you to get started by getting the Ashes to Fire Year B journal on Amazon. There is a kindle version available and you can read it on any device.
We are a
Feel alive, joyful, healthy and whole this new year
by adopting our simple, relational, empowering practices
Coming March 2015: Forge Minneapolis
Discover what you are made to do.
Believe that you are a minister, and that God has already sent you on a mission to represent Jesus with the people where you live, work, and play.
Step into the adventure of asking Jesus to give you His heart for the people in your neighborhood you already live in or group that you already identify with.
Are you equipped to make a Jesus-like impact in your world? Go on a 3-month mission trip without quitting your job, leaving your neighborhood, or hanging up your hobbies. This is a chance to invest time in the lab of learning and start to launch out in love with the community He puts on your heart.
A full 9-month mission trip starts September 2015.